Find a course
This course aims to teach instructors how to deliver the first three courses of the Dinghy Program including Start Sailing 1, Start Sailing 2 and Better Sailing. Participants will learn and practise effective techniques for theory and practical instructing with continuous feedback and support.
- Be 16 years old and Water Confident
- Comply with the State/Territory legislation including, but not only, child protection laws (if applicable in that state). Please click here for details on your State/Territories child protection requirements.
- Hold the level of competence in the Program they wish to instruct
- Hold a currentAustralian HLTAID003/011 - Provide First Aid Certificate (or higher)
- Hold a current maritime licence, or state equivalent
- Hold an Australian Sailing Powerboat Handling Certificate. If you completed the Safety Boat Operator but not the Powerboat Handling course, please upload the Safety Boat Operator Certificate HERE and the Powerboat Handling Certificate will be added against your profile
- Complete the Australian Sailing Instructor General Principles - online learning course
Who should do this course?
This course is for anyone looking to become a Dinghy Instructor and instruct the Dinghy learn to sail program at an accredited Discover Sailing Centre.
The course aims to develop skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- General Instructing skills - Communication, Planning, Risk Management, etc
- Fundamental sailing skills: Tacking, gybing, capsize recovery, etc
- Powerboat skills, whilst instructing, including towing
Pending your success, you will gain the Dinghy Instructor qualification.
We recognise that some of our course participants are completing the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award and may be using sailing and/or club membership to complete one or more sections of The Award. To learn more, click here.
WA - Dinghy Instructor Course - 2nd-3rd March 2024 @ NYCSat 02 Mar 2024 08:30 — Sun 03 Mar 2024 17:00 AEDT
VenueNedlands Yacht Club
WA - Dinghy Instructor Course - 16th-17th March 2024 @ GBYCSat 16 Mar 2024 08:30 — Sun 17 Mar 2024 17:00 AEDT
VenueGeographe Bay Yacht Club