Discover Sailing Centres are a club or centre which is accredited to deliver Australian Sailing learn to sail, or powerboat programs, through qualified Australian Sailing instructors. They adhere to standards that ensure safety and customer satisfaction, in order to attain and retain this status. Only centres accredited to do so, can display and promote the Discover Sailing brand as they have the services, systems and standards in place to uphold the brand “Discover Sailing”.
- Fulfilment of community and customer expectations. Australian Sailing accreditation may help provide that and prove your club/centre meets best practice.
- Fulfilment of Duty of Care. Customers and government generally seek assurance of self-regulation and proper management processes, in addition to compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Recognition by Australian Marine Safety Authority, and State Marine Regulators. Australian Sailing programs and courses generally have that recognition under state regulations.
- Recognition by other government departments. The Australian Sports Commission and State Departments, including education, and other bodies such as Scouts/Guides, and the Defence Forces, all rely on assurances of the quality and standards of the Australian Sailing programs.
- Access to qualified Instructors. A key role for Australian Sailing and its state associations is the training, qualification and ongoing professional development of quality Instructors.
- Access to Nationally Recognised Programs, Courses, materials, and standards. These programs are consistent throughout Australia and structured around the sports pathways to maximise the success of customers returning for further courses, joining the sport on an ongoing basis, and being retained.
- Minimised Risk and reduced exposure to liability. A Discover Sailing Centre operating within the Australian Sailing Operating Standards and Guidelines and using Australian Sailing qualified instructors is likely to be a safer environment for both customers and the instructors themselves.
- Unambiguous insurance cover. As a condition of being accredited, a centre holds current appropriate insurance.
- National Promotion of upcoming courses to the public via the Discover Sailing Website.
- National registration, recognition, and information technology system. myCentre has been developed in response to what centres said would help them run their programs more efficiently and effectively.
- Support by Club Services Officers in developing and managing programs. Australian Sailing has someone whose role it is in that region to help centres improve their business, whether that be through the annual review process or issue specific discussions.
Some of the sailing programs available at Discover Sailing include: