The Commonwealth Coat of Arms is the pre-eminent mark of Commonwealth authority. Its use, with a few limited exceptions, is limited to the Commonwealth Parliament, the Government and the Federal Courts. However, since 1922, Australian representative national sporting teams participating in international competitions have been able to seek Commonwealth Government permission to display the Arms on their uniforms.
It is necessary to obtain permission from the Honours, Symbols and Territories Branch of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet to use the Australian Coat of Arms on a team uniform and any other support.
Any request for permission MUST be submitted by Australian Sailing. Class Associations cannot not contact the Government directly.
Australian Sailing must indicate their support of the request or permission will not be granted.
Application and approval Process
To request Permission for Use of the Australian Coat of Arms, please follow the steps below:
- A request for obtaining permission. It shall include the Form below and shall be submitted to Sailing Services.
- After reception of the completed "Request Form", Australian Sailing apply to the National Flag Branch Department.
The request must be submitted 4 months before the event. The National Symbols Officer will determine whether the request should be approved.
- Australian Sailing will receive the decision and forward it to the Class Association contact representative.
Australian Sailing Requirements:
- National Class Associations must be affiliated to Australian Sailing for the current season;
- Only one contact by Class Association;
- The request must be made by the National Class Association on behalf of its “Team”;
- The request must be for an Australian “Team” at the Class World Championships;
- The “Team” must have been selected through a published selection policy or recognised criteria;
- Provide the Team member list - by completing the Australian Sailing form;
For any Team selected by Australian Sailing, Australian Sailing will obtain permission for use of the Coat of Arms e.g. World Sailing Youth Worlds Team, World Sailing Games Team, World Sailing Teams Racing Worlds Team etc;
- A Team/Crew that has been invited to compete in an international event (such as a World Championship) will also be considered.
For example World Sailing Women’s Match Racing, 420 Class World Championship or similar.
- The Government will only consider requests made within 4 months before the competition.
- EPS files for the conventional and stylised versions of the Arms are available to be sent on request.
- For more information and to download the current Commonwealth Coat of Arms Information and Guidelines, please visit the Government website.
Please send all completed forms to:
Australian Sailing - Sailing Services
Via email to email@example.com.
For further information about your class affiliation contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.dpmc.gov.au/government/commonwealth-coat-arms.